Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Those Who've Gone Before, Those to Come

Out of the blue I got a really nice note and some encouragement from a musician named Tim Walker who did his own 365-songs-in-a-year project. HERE is the link to his year of songs (scroll down). I'm blown away by the amount time he spent on arrangements and the care he took with each of his recordings. I'm a slacker in comparison.

I want to get in touch with other musicians, writers, poets, artists, etc who've made a commitment to a piece-a-day for 365 days. I wonder how many of us had the same motivations and expectations. I wonder how we would agree or disagree regarding the personal struggles and outcomes.

As I've said here before, David Andrew Strackany (aka PALEO) was my inspiration and he's still going strong a year after completing 365 consecutive songs. He now continues to write and record a weekly "sunday prayer" until the day he dies (I'm not kidding and I believe he'll do it). I wonder if he knows about the rest of us. He tours relentlessly and I'm going to try to get to a show to meet and thank him. Suzan-Lori Parks wrote a play a day for 365 days.

So what are you waiting for? Make the commitment to being creative every day for just one year - make it public or keep it private but do it (and stick with it). I guarantee nothing. Or everything.

1 Comments:

Blogger SIDDHARTHA VADER said...

Hey, don't forget my project! A song a year for ten consecutive years!
Actually, I've been recording relentlessly and should finally have my latest done in April.

Saturday, February 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home