Friday, July 20, 2007

Approaching the Century

I just uploaded #92, ending month 3 of the song journal. In 8 days I'll hit 100.

Something happened this month that I was unprepared for - I have become emotionally attached to several of the songs. I don't know, maybe it's the events or ideas that the songs are about that I'm attached to but I think it's more than that. I have to rid myself of sentimentality. Something else happened in this batch of songs - in some cases small groupings of songs seem to work together to make a complete statement, like little song cycles. In the case of the NY songs (#64-#68) that's true by virtue of the trip and in others it's because of being centered around the same subject or person. I didn't plan ahead to do that - it seems to have just happened.

In 90 days the song journal has become part of my daily ritual. I don't think about it, it just seems to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home