Monday, December 05, 2005

Ears to the Ground

I'm particularly interested in the current resurgance of acoustic music going under the cover of "FreakFolk", "Acid Hillbilly" or "New Weird America". Gotta love a new generation of kids getting hip to Robbie Basho and John Fahey and mixing it up with Syd Barrett-esque acoustic psychedelicism!

I'm especially pleased to know that this kind of stuff can thrive in a world where talent-starved personality cultists, MTV darlings and American Idols are shoved down our throats like syrup of ipecac.

2 Comments:

Blogger myshkin2 said...

Your link leads to Joanna Newsom. I have her CD, Milk-Eyed Mender--recommended to me by, if you remember her, Loretta. Anyway, I sort of like it, but everyone I force to listen to can't stand her. I love her lyrics and I love her voice (though I feel a bit perverted getting so moved by a voice that's so consciously trying to sound like a little girl) and I love her harping--but I end up being able to endure her in small (very small) doses.

Thursday, December 08, 2005  
Blogger Eric Wallack said...

Joanna is interesting and I like her lyrics a lot. Maybe even better is Jolie Holland (http://www.jolieholland.com/) as she adds a touch of surrealism to her imagery and delivery that is really special. I'm digging all of this stuff. There are a lot of young women writing and performing terrific "freakfolk" and of course there are a lot of boys rediscovering Fahey and Charlie Patton and turning out some fabulous, ripping acoustic guitar music (check out Jack Rose, Glenn Jones and Harris Newman).

Thursday, December 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home